Sunday, December 1, 2013

Where Can A Girl Get A Drink?

Why the hell have I not done a post about this yet? In the nine months that I've lived in the Big Durian, I found myself to be in need of a drink. I'm obviously not talking about the water (because that shit is disgusting!) but of course a refreshing alcoholic beverage. Jakarta has a ton of bars and nights for the fairer sex to enjoy reasonably priced booze or in some case free drink. I was naïve in believing in thinking that Jakarta was going to be a dry because Indonesia is after all the most populous Muslim country in the world. How wrong was I? There are a plethora of bars and restaurants to satisfy the alcoholic thirst of myself and my colleagues.

I just want to show some love and give recommendations to my five  four favourite places that have been my refuge on Thursday (I don't work on Fridays) and Saturday nights after a hard week at work.

1. Facebar
Kusama Atmaja 85, Imam Bonjol
Menteng, Jakarta Pusat

If there is a place in Jakarta that I do not mind spending my time it is this place. It is my favourite bar in Jakarta. Period. Why does this place get my vote? I think it has something to do with how chilled and laidback this oasis of a bar is. It has this east meets west vibe that makes it comfortable yet classy and sexy at the same time. The decor is a blend of reds and golds and is perfumed with scents of the Orient. There are also two gazebos and a pool table for the cool chill-out factor. I was introduced to Facebar by my Jamerican friend D back in March. I was surprised that it was so close to home (10 minutes to be exact) and that they also did half price cocktails between the hours of 5pm to 8pm EVERY DAY. I mean what's not to love?! This has been my main stay for Saturday evening drinks and the occasional Friday night hangout. Upstairs from the bar is the restaurant which serves some tasty Thai cuisine. Expensive but so worth it. If you are looking for a place with an intimate atmosphere to relax and relate, Facebar is the place!


Gazebo


Entrance




2. Ladies' Night @ Grand Hyatt
Jl. Kebon Kacang 30,
Jakarta Pusat

Located next to the plush Plaza Indonesia, The Grand Hyatt Hotel is just one of a number of 5 star hotels in Jakarta for visitors with steep pockets. It has everything you expect from a standard 5-star hotel: polite staff, shiny marble floors,luxury brand shops like Hermes and a few bars. Burgundy is the bar to head to on a Thursday night if you are of the fairer sex. Hotel designed cocktails like the Burgundy Crush and classic mixers like Whisky Sour are free of charge . The bar has a very intimate and gay atmosphere as the DJ pumps out Jakarta's soundtrack of popular club mixes, you can chill with your girls and eventually get on the dance floor in front of the DJ. Ladies' Night runs from 9pm to 12am so it is an excellent precursor before heading to a club. Not to leave out the fellas, but there is a Mens' Night on Tuesday night, same rules apply.

3.Camden Bar
Jl. Gandaria 336,
Jakarta Selatan

This place reminds me of that old sitcom Cheers, a place where everybody knows your name and are always glad that you came. Or maybe a little bit of the bar in the film St. Elmo's Fire with loads of college kids having a whale of a time. It is one of the busiest bars in South Jakarta, seriously I am yet to see a dead night. The owner of Camden and his staff will see to it that you will have a fabulous night. There is also a very spacious beer garden to escape the occasional chaos of the bar area. If you are a fan of pool, there is a pool table just make sure that you don't wager any bets with the owner because he is pretty awesome at the game. All in all, if you want a decent pre drinks before painting the clubs of South Jakarta red, Camden is the place to be.




4. Skye Bar
28th Floor, Wisma Nusantara
Jl. Thamrin 59,
Jakarta Pusat

As the name suggests, the Skye Bar offers its patrons a spectacular view of the city, a kaleidoscopic mix of the street lights and buildings lighting up the Jakarta skyline. This bar and restaurant is a hip yet posh joint meaning no sandals allowed and dress casual but not too casual.  There is a stage and a small dance floor.  The bar is never really packed with a number of stools largely left empty during the night. But of course the place to be is outside with the view and a small pool. Skye Bar is one of the trendiest bars I've ever visited; however, it is also one of the most expensive bars on the list; therefore, I save this baby for special occasions.


Outside Sky Bar at dusk


Do you have any recommendations where a girl can get a drink in Jakarta?






No comments:

Post a Comment