Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hi, I'm New Here

Hi my name is Chanelle - like the fashion house but spelt differently - and I am a first time teacher of English living and working in the Indonesian capital Jakarta. How the hell did I get here? Simples, I did a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course in my 'home' country of Great Britain and looked for opportunities to teach. I knew that my level of qualification was not good enough to teach in England or Europe for that matter, so I decided to look further a field into Asia.

As a continent, Asia has always fascinated because of the diversity of its people, history,multitude of cultures and warm weather. I figured if I was going to start my TEFL career somewhere why not in an Asian country?!

So I began looking and doing research on a couple of Asian countries that interested me namely China, South Korea, Thailand and Indonesia. After crossing off Thailand and China of my list, I decided to apply for the EPIK programme in Korea and also apply for a couple of jobs in Indonesia (one in Jakarta and the other in Cirebon). To cut a long story short, I did not meet certain criteria for EPIK thus my application was rejected *smh* but, I had an interview with a Jakarta school and will here I am!

                                                 No I did not take this photo

It's nearly been two weeks since I got off the plane from Soekerno- Hatta International Airport, cranky from lack of sleep after flying for over 15 hours and also for not having a shower since I left London that Wednesday afternoon (I arrived on a hot ass Thursday afternoon). I am still adjusting myself to this new life in a culture that is as strange to me as I am as strange to the locals, LOL! But I digress, I have now thrown myself into my new role and loving my colleagues and the people I have surrounded myself with since arriving in Jakarta, if this is a path that is right for me then I will surely know sooner rather than later.

So join me as I natter on about my triumphs and tribulations of teaching and living as a bule* in Indonesia.

* Bule - Indonesian for foreigner but normally for those of the fair skinned persuasion.


No comments:

Post a Comment