Thursday, April 11, 2013

Update!

Once again, I am going to apologize for the lack of posts in the last couple of weeks. There is a reason for that of course and that is I have been a busy bee! If I am not busy, I am spending my time exploring Jakarta's night life  Not to say that I am out every night partying up a storm but I have to blow off steam one way or the other, right? Anyhow, there have been some changes and I thought it would be a good idea to tell you about it:
  • I have now been in Jakarta for over 10 weeks nearly 3 months! In TEFL terms, I am no longer a newbie and will soon be having new teachers observing my classes as I did in the beginning. This is something that fills me with dread as I don't feel especially confident in my teaching abilities.
  • DOC HAS A JOB! After 8 years of further education, my other half has landed himself a job. He started at the beginning of the month. It has been a long wait since he finished his Phd in December, but people in Britain know just how difficult the job market is. This means I can see my cutie pie soon.
  • Scottish J and Girl J have left the teacher's house *sad face* but not to worry because they've moved on up! I am yet to visit their new place but it has pool and a decent view of the city and is only 15 minutes walk from my place/their old place. Girl J is missed at my school especially by Irish C and myself of course. Oh and I also took Scottish J's old room which is the biggest room in the house. YASSSS!
  • My other house mate English J has finished his contract too and will be leaving Jakarta in a couple of weeks. He is one of my favourite people and I will miss him and his quirks a lot. Did I mention L left a few weeks ago? She's a personality and a half and her presence is missed in the house. Another teacher from my school, Brighton A has seen out his contract and has returned to the UK. He was a beautifully strange man and his departure was quite dramatic to say the least. *smh*
  • We have new house mates albeit temporarily. My travel buddy Manc C and Withnail have moved in. They are house mates of T, who I mentioned was having renovation works on his room. Turns out the whole place needs renovating. So they are staying here for a month while work is done on their house.
  • Manc C and I are off to Lombok in May for eight days. Might seem like a long time but boy I have not seen a beach in a year and I am really excited to get out Jakarta for more than a day.
  • I've been teaching 7 year olds for the past month. If I am being honest, it is really hard especially when   there are a couple of troublemakers in the group who test my patience. I made one cry a couple of weeks ago and he has not been back since *shrug shoulders* tough titty! 
  • I have becomes fast friends with another teacher called Aussie R. She works with me at my school and is now pretty much a permanent member for well over a month now. Prior to Girl J's departure, the three of us would go for coffee and also socialize outside of work with the rest of the other teachers. Despite her name, Aussie R has spent most of her life here in Jakarta and is fluent in Indonesian and is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to teaching English - she's been doing it for six years - so all in all, a good person to know.
  • We are getting four new female teachers. Two of them will be based at my school and most likely will be moving into my house. I can only hope that they are as sound as my current bunch and not as demented as Big P.
That is all the gossip I have about what is going with me personally and professionally and of course the people I work with. All is well with me because I am surrounded by some of the quirkiest, intelligent and sweetest people ever. I know that it won't last long with people's contracts finishing before mine but I will enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment