Saturday, May 25, 2013

My S**t Week at work!

I do not like being a negative Nelly, but deary me it is so easy to be one. Last week, I had my worst week as a teacher! I know it sounds melodramatic but seriously it really was. Two factors that made this week so unbearable were: illness and a change in my routine.

Towards the end of my holiday I was suffering from a nasty head cold - that as the week went on manifested into something worse - and a horrible case of PMS. Thankfully, this all took place on the final stretch of the holiday so I was not complaining too much. But I was in for a nasty shock when I got back to Jakarta.

When we finally reached home from the airport, C and I sat down in our living room and regaled our house mates with our holiday tales. T my DOS, then said to me that you are going to find some changes to your schedule. WTH!  'How so?' I asked. You will be working at another school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I was relieved to know that the school was only a 20 minute walk from my house, but I hid my dismay from T. This meant that I will be missing my two favourite classes and having to build rapport with  new centre staff (luckily I know some of the teachers including Little C and Scottish J). Not only that, but I have taken on new classes at my base school teaching 4 year olds and adult Business English on Mondays and Wednesdays. At the other school, I am also teaching Business English in the evenings which means I finish at 9 Monday through to Thursday. 

I did the decent thing and begrudgingly said OK. 

As the week wore on at the new school, I took on moody 13 year old know-it-alls , disgruntled adults not happy having a new teacher for the fifth time in 5 months (which I don't blame them!) and precocious 6 year olds. All of this was coupled with my worsening 'ailments' previously mentioned and Little C has been off work because she has pink-eye (conjunctivitis) so not much moral and girly support at school that week. 

This routine is going to be carried on for sometime 3 months to be exact.On the positive, it was only my first week and that is now out the way, so next week is a new week. Hedge your bets to see how long it will take for me to crack.


No comments:

Post a Comment