Sunday, May 5, 2013

Power Problems

Hi all, its been awhile since I last wrote something. So last Sunday, there was no power to the top floor of my house. I am delighted to report that the school's handyman came round the following day and fixed it. I still felt disgusting as I 'washed' myself with bottled water and went to school that morning feeling relatively rough.  Everything was good, the internet was back on, the water pump was working and all things were good until Tuesday night.

After having the usual friendly banter with my house mates, we decided to call it a night and went to our respective for some shut-eye. Being the night owl, I decided to stay up and do some internet trolling and maybe a write a blog post about my upcoming trip to Lombok but of course something had to happen.

Whilst getting comfy with my bed and laptop, I heard a noise so loud it shook the house. My immediate thought was 'Terrorist Attack!' and then the lights went out. The power to our room was on for about 30 seconds before going off. T and I ran out of our rooms wondering what the hell is going on. We looked outside and could believe our eyes. Our neighbourhood was in darkness, I am talking pitch black. We all ventured outside to see what was the crack. As we got to the end of our street, it became apparent what had just occurred. The power box for our area exploded and caused the blackout. I started to panic about the fridge, the lack of AC and of course no water AGAIN! I went to my room and drifted off into a troubled slumber. Did I mention I had to be up early for training?!

So after 'washing' myself, I arrived for training feeling disgusting and tired. That Wednesday was quite possibly the worst day I ever had but more on that later. So while I was having a crap time at school; the power came back and all was right in my world. Then yesterday, the same thing happened only this time they were quicker to respond to the problem and because it was Sunday, I went off to the mall to meet up with D (she's back in Jakarta until June). While I was out the power came back on. Thankfully.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am back living in a developing country and these things do happen. My Jamaican upbringing allowed me to tough it out the first time around but I find myself getting more irritating the more frequently it happens like a typical Westerner. Whatever will be will be though and I just have to roll with it. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment