Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Day I took an Ojek

Ojeks or motorcycle taxis are the easiest way of getting around Jakarta. They weave in and around traffic like no one's business, get where you need to go in quick time and can drop you right at your door. Seriously ojeks risk their life and limbs for a fare!



You also have to haggle the price with the drivers as they always suggest overinflated prices. For 20,000rph that covers a single trip from home to work and vice versa so a total of 40,000rph for a day's journey! On the other hand, the local bus costs a total of 4000rph for a day's journey, yes a whole tenth of the price! So why would I want to take an ojek when it is SO dear and the chances of injuring myself in an accident are high?! My house mates take ojeks wherever they go and have encouraged me to do so. But I resisted with vigour because I'm a coward like that but what to do when you have no choice?



I decided to take the plunge and take one. That day was Wednesday night about two weeks ago. I was tired and hungry and wanted to get home quickly from work. However, my usual bus was nowhere to be seen. I walked along the road checking every few seconds to make sure that my bus was not going to drive past but to no avail. But then salvation came.

I was walking along my road when I heard 'Ojek Miss?'. I looked up and saw this small dude pointing to his bike. I thought about for all of thirty seconds and thought 'why the hell not?'
I walked over and I asked in my best Indonesian 'How much to Plaza Indonesia?' He quoted a price of 50,000. I stood my ground and said (in English) 'I am not going anywhere for more than 20,000!' He then said 'OK, 25,000?' I started walking away before he relented and agreed that he will drop me off for 20,000.

He gave me the passenger helmet and hopped on behind him. I was faced with the dilemma of what to do with my hands. I see local women on ojeks with their hands on their thighs or gripping onto the driver's waist (come to think of it they are probably not ojek drivers). I decided to hold onto the back of the seat and took of onto the road. I gripped the seat for dear life and silently praying that I do not fall off. My fears were subsided as I took in the night air and the cool breeze blowing on my face. It was so blissful that I had my hands outstretched and let out a loud yelp exclaiming my exhilaration which my driver thought was funny. He dropped me off and I handed over my 20000 rph and thanked my driver. I walked away becoming a fan of the ojek and learnt lesson in not being a chickenshit and just do it.

I have now taken ojeks 10 times since but only when the situation is really necessary (traffic, protests, late coming home from work and the like). But I can honestly say, I enjoy taking ojeks as they are best way to get around the city.  




No comments:

Post a Comment